Looking for the best microphone for Sony a7C? Here are our top recommended mics for the Sony a7C mirrorless camera.
The Sony A7C is scheduled to be released in September 2020. Something that distinguishes it is the fact that it incorporates a full-frame sensor while maintaining a compact and lightweight design.
Although this camera looks very similar to Sony’s APS-C cameras such as the A6600, it has specifications that are more in line with the A7III. The camera has a 24MP full-frame sensor, 4K video recording at up to 30 frames per second, 1080p at up to 120 frames per second, and excellent focusing capability, among other features.
A fully-articulating screen is also included, making it a fantastic choice for YouTubers and other video makers alike. It’s also a fantastic B-camera, and it can be utilized for a variety of purposes like wedding videography, interviews, and more.
Of course, if you want to use it for professional filming, we strongly advise you to get an external microphone. In the vast majority of circumstances, an on-camera shotgun mic will suffice. Allow us to examine the best microphones for Sony A7C in more detail.
Best Microphone for Sony a7c
1. Sony ECM-B1M – Digital Shotgun Microphone
2 used from $389.49
- Eight mic capsules and advanced digital signal processing
- Super-directional pickup in a compact body
- Digital Audio interface support via Mi shoe to the Alpha 7R IV
- Direct audio to the camera vin digital form provides highest possible quality
Similar to the A7SIII, the new A7C has a revised hot-shoe mount, which allows it to be used with Sony’s superb ECM-B1M microphone, which was launched alongside the A7RIV. The fact that it can provide a digital audio stream straight to the camera through the innovative shoe attachment distinguishes it from other microphones, as it eliminates the need to connect it to the mic input with cables, which saves time and money. The microphone is likewise powered by the camera, which makes the entire system extremely simple to operate while also being visually appealing.
The ECM-B1M delivers exactly what you’d expect from a microphone with this price tag in terms of audio quality. Even while it doesn’t have as many sophisticated capabilities as the aforementioned VideoMic NTG, it does come with a noise-canceling capability that is pretty effective. This microphone sticks out from the crowd due to its ease of use, and it is unquestionably one of the best options for the A7C.
2. Rode VideoMic NTG On-Camera Shotgun Microphone
- Supercardioid Shotgun Condenser Mic Optimized f Camcder Use with Rycote Lyre Shockmount System
- Built-in Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- Annular Line Tube Technology
- USB Compatibility
The Rode VideoMic NTG is a flexible microphone that combines the characteristics of an on-camera mic with those of a regular shotgun mic to create a unique sound. It is compatible with both your camera and your phone.
It’s the perfect size and weight to fit on your Sony a7c without causing you any handling issues when you’re driving.
To connect the VideoMic NTG to your A7c, just slip the microphone into the cold shoe of the camera. VIDEO MIC NTG is equipped with a Rycote Lyre suspension system, which ensures that it remains stable even when the camera handler moves.
There are a few settings that help the microphone be more effective at what it does. The high pass filter may be activated through a switch located at the rear of the unit.
You may choose between a 75Hz or a 150Hz frequency filter. In addition, there is a control that allows you to turn on the safety channel recording feature.
3. Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount
2 used from $47.99
- Compact microphone designed to improve the audio quality of your videos - only 80 millimeter (3") long and 42gm (1.5 ounce)
- No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power - min 3V)
- Includes Rycote lyre shock mount and deluxe furry windshield
- Please note: for new iphones you need to purchase an adapter as iphone requires a 1/8th Jack
Rode VideoMicro is the shotgun microphone of choice for videographers who seek professional-level sound from a small piece of equipment. VideoMicro includes a suspension shock mount technology that eliminates vibration and camera movement from being the source of the problem.
The positioning and connection of the microphone are likewise straightforward; simply attach the microphone to the camera using the shoe attachment provided on the a7c and connect via the 3.5mm audio connector.
You don’t have to put forth any more effort to begin recording your sound using VideoMicro. This microphone does not require phantom power in order to function; all of the power it requires may be given through the 3.5mm audio line. Additionally, it will not put an undue strain on the battery of your camera.
This is one of the best Rode shotgun microphones available, and it is used by the majority of professional videographers to capture high-quality audio with Mirrorless cameras.
4. Deity V-Mic D3 Super-Cardioid Directional Shotgun Microphone
- |Broadcast Quality Sound|: Superior off-axis sound performance. Low noise circuitry, Extremely Low Distortion THD (
- |Smart 3.5mm TRS/TRRS Mic Output|: Out-of-the-box the V-Mic D3 is compatible with DSLRs, Camcorders, Smartphones, Handy Recorders, Laptop, Bodypack Transmitters and Tablets. This means no more adapter cables. The Smart TRRS cable we include with the microphone is all you'll ever need. Please Note that late model iOS devices require Apple's Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter(NOT Included)
- |Intelligent Power On/Off|: Deity V-Mic D3 features a one button on/off switch. When turned on the microphone is ready in Stand-By-Mode and automatically goes into Run-Mode when the camera or device turns on. This also allows you to save battery on your microphone when you turn your camera off
- |Super Long Working Time|: The V-Mic D3 uses a single AAA for power. Alkaline AAA Battery – 166hrs. NiMH Rechargable Battery – 150hrs. Lithium AAA Battery – 208hrs. 6300+ Hours In Standby Mode
- |Lightweight & Durable|: The V-Mic D3 is the workhorse on-camera microphone you've always wanted. Built with a lightweight uni-body aluminium metal body it offers you the strength to stand up to the same elements your camera can handle
If you’re looking for a more economical microphone that is also somewhat tiny and produces excellent quality, the Deity V-Mic D3 should definitely be on your list of considerations. This microphone is powered by one AAA battery, which lasts for a long period of time (about 160 hours of recording time). Like the Rode NTG, the Deity V-Mic D3 is compatible with a variety of devices including smartphones and computers, which is a nice plus.
This microphone is far less expensive than the prior microphones we discussed, but it lacks most of the sophisticated capabilities of the other mics we discussed. However, for specific applications like YouTube videos or vlogging, this can be a fantastic solution!
5. Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone
5 used from $210.00
- Supercardioid Shotgun Condenser Mic Optimized f Camcder Use with Integrated Rycote Lyre Shockmount System
- Automatic Power Function
- Digital Switching
It is larger and heavier than the Rode VideoMic, but it is also more adaptable than the Rode VideoMic. High-quality audio recording is made possible by this condenser shotgun mic, which also features a few manual control choices.
One of these variables is the high pass filter, which is one of several. As a result, you will be able to delete certain extremely low frequencies from your recorded sound. Using this method, you may effectively reduce background noise.
In effect, when you use the high pass filter, you are deleting all undesired noises that fall below the specified frequency range. If you’re recording speech, this will have little effect on the quality because human voices rarely go below a certain threshold of volume.
It also contains a gain control, which you may use to adjust the volume of the sound caught by the microphone if necessary. This is accomplished by altering the sensitivity of the microphone. As a result, increasing the gain also increases the amount of background noise.
6. Rode RodeLink FM Digital Wireless Filmmaker System
3 used from $269.99
- Provides everything you need to start shooting video wirelessly, including a receiver, transmitter and broadcast-grade lavalier microphone
- Able to constantly monitor and hop between frequencies to maintain the strongest possible signal level at a range of up to 100 meters
- The receiver features an OLED display with information on level, battery status (receiver and transmitter), mute and channel selection
- Can be mounted on a standard camera shoe mount, 3/8" thread or belt-clip, and the shoe mount can be located in one of two positions
- The lightweight transmitter can be fitted to a belt or clothing and features a locking thread to ensure the mic connection is as secure as possible
This microphone is comprised of three components: a lavalier microphone, a transmitter, and a receiver. While this may appear to be a lot to deal with at first, it really provides more convenience after it has been set up.
One of the most significant advantages of using a cordless lav mic is that you can capture long shots of yourself while still recording crystal-clear audio of your conversation. When using a tripod to support the a7c, you may move away from the camera for up to 100 meters. Although RodeLink’s prospects appear to be promising, it is not without its drawbacks.
When using this microphone, you should use extreme caution. The construction does not appear to be particularly sturdy. Additionally, when you have secured the receiver to the shoe mount, you should move the camera with caution. At times, the receiver has a tendency to spin.
7. Sony ECMW1M Wireless Microphone
- Interoperability and compatibility among Bluetooth devices vary
- Communication distance up to approximately 100' (30m)
- Two way communication, up to 30 meters from the camcorder
- NOTE: Kindly refer the Instructional Video from the Image Section and User Manual from the Technical Specification before use which is highly recommended.
- In-the-box: Wind Screen; Carrying Pouch; Arm band; Earphone; Earphone Hanger; Connector protect cap
The use of this microphone eliminates the possibility of wire management headaches. Not only that, but it also has a wide operating range. As a result, I’ve chosen to place it at the top of my priority list.
The Sony ECM-W1M can pick up sound clearly and transmit it to a camera that is more than three hundred feet distant. And, as a result of this feature, it is the finest wireless microphone for the Sony A7c. The Bluetooth device’s crystal clear reception is to thank for this. As a result, you will have no trouble recording sound from a distance.
Its two-way communication is extremely effective up to a distance of 90ft. This function allows you to instruct your subject while also having the option of recording both the subject’s speech and the direction you are giving them at the time.
This microphone has a feature that allows you to listen to the live recorded audio. You may plug in a headphone and listen to see if the sound is at its optimal level of quality. The active interface shoe connection ensures that the sound is subjected to the smallest amount of interference from external causes.
Another interesting feature is that this microphone may be used as the focal point of a 5.1ch sound system when recording. Additionally, you have the ability to choose between mono and single-mode recording. As the Bluetooth system establishes a connection with the device, ensure sure there is as little interference as possible.
8. Sony ECMGZ1M Gun / Zoom Microphone
10 used from $54.79
- Records in Zoom Mic and Gun mic modes
- Zoom Mic Mode records audio level corresponding to zoom length
- Gun Mic Mode records super directional
In addition to a monaural on-camera microphone, the Sony ECM-GZ1M Zoom Microphone also has a hot shoe interface that is designed exclusively for Sony cameras and camcorders that use the proprietary Multi-Interface Shoe.
The microphone is intended to assist you in isolating the sound you wish to hear coming from the subject while rejecting undesired background noise…. Two modes are available for selection: a “Gun” Mode that locks the microphone in a fixed pick-up pattern, and a “Zoom” Mode that dynamically adjusts the pick-up pattern in relation to how much you zoom in, making the microphone pick-up angle narrower as you zoom closer – both of which are available for selection. A camera or camcorder with a zoom lens is required for use in Zoom Mode.