The company’s G Master lenses, which are large, beautiful, and pricey, are considered the best Sony lenses. However, for photographers and filmmakers who require lenses that are lighter, smaller, or less expensive, there are many options! Many of these are so good in their own right that they may compete with Sony’s G Master optics.
Giving your subject enough room is essential for effective sports photography. You can accomplish this by shooting from afar so that your presence does not become obtrusive. A decent sports lens will come in handy in this situation.
You’ve come to the correct place if you’re looking for the best Sony lens for sports photography. Today I’ll tell you about some high-quality Sony lenses that are both inexpensive and high-quality.
Due to the abundance of light provided by the sun, it is much easier to participate in outdoor sports photography. Even if your lens has an aperture of f/5.6, shooting at shutter speeds beyond 1/250 is no longer a challenge. For example, many professional sports photographers will try for a shutter speed of 1/1000.
Here is our selection of the best sports photography lenses for Sony a7C currently available!
Check Out: Best Events Lenses for Sony a7C
Best Sports Lenses for Sony a7C in 2022
1. Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 G Master
The Best Sony Lens for Sports Photography is the Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM. This 135mm full-frame F1.8 lens has an incredibly shallow depth of field and stunning g Master bokeh. It features a new modern optical layout that maintains high corner-to-corner decision throughout the focus range, even at F1.8 maximum aperture, as well as a XA, Super ED, and ED glass factor, as well as four XD linear focus motors to power two focal point agencies for fast, quiet, and precise autofocus.
14 used from $1,590.00
- 135mm W/ F1.8 Max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field
- G master design for extraordinary sharpness and breathtaking bokeh
- Xa, super ED and ED elements achieve edge-to-edge high resolution
- 11-Blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Four XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors for fast, quiet, and precise focus
2. Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM
An unrivaled F2.8 constant aperture 70-200 mm telephoto zoom with a fantastic G Master selection that delivers unrivaled rendering and bokeh, blazing AF, and top-notch image stabilization performance.
14 used from $1,599.00
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh, Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field.Weight 1480 g (without tripod mount)
- Class-leading min. focus distance of 37.8” / 0.25x max. mag, Dual floating focus system for high AF speed and precision, XA, ED/Super ED elements and Nano AR Coating for superb resolution
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for video, Direct coupled mechanical focus system for precise manual focus
- Rigid construction with constant lens length during focusing and zooming, High performance Optical Steady Shot Image stabilization, Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface precision
Main Features of Sony Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM, Which makes it the right choice for sports photography:
- By entering your mannequin number, you can make sure this matches.
- Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains publicity and depth of field. G Master drawing combines outstanding sharpness and easy bokeh. 1480 g in weight
- 37.8″ minimum focus distance / 0.25x maximum magnification, which is class-leading. XA, ED/Super ED factors, and Nano AR Coating for top-notch resolution Aspherical factors & 11-blade round aperture for super bokeh, Dual floating centre of attention machine for excessive AF pace and precision, XA, ED/Super ED factors, and Nano AR Coating for top-notch resolution Aspherical factors & 11-blade round aperture for super bokeh Parfocal format and minimum centre of attention breathing are ideal for video. Mechanical centre of attention device with direct coupling for a unique guide focus
- Consistent lens size throughout focusing and zooming, Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization with High Performance, Resistant to dust and moisture for long-term dependability
- Reflections, flare, and ghosting are reduced because to a nano AR coating, according to XA.
3. Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM
For sports photography, the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM is the best Sony lens. This Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS Lens, designed for sports, wildlife, and motion photographers, will satisfy many photographers and videographers looking for a bit more reach with their full-frame E-mount camera.
- INCREDIBLY SHARP: Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element strategically deployed in an advanced optical design for superb resolution, clarity and contrast
- BEAUTIFULLY SMOOTH BACKGROUNDS: Circular 9-blade aperture for beautiful bokeh defocus effects
- CAPTURE ALL THE DETAIL: Sony Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting
- FAST AND PRECISE: A double linear motor and DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) drive system provides the speed and precision required for both stills and video shooting
- PROFESSIONAL ERGONOMICS: A sealed dust and moisture resistant design provides extra protection to ensure reliable operation in challenging environments
It is part of the G Master range and is designed for exceptional clarity and sharpness with low aberrations, which is aided by the use of one Super ED and two ED factors, as well as a Nano AR coating. It also features a noticeably tiny size thanks to an f/4.5-5.6 maximum aperture range, as well as a Direct Drive SSM autofocus system and Optical SteadyShot photo stabilization for outstanding overall performance all focal lengths.
4. Sony FE 85mm f/1.8
The Best Sony Lens for Sports Photography is the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8. The ZEISS Batis 1.8/85 lens boasts a fast maximum aperture of f/1.8 for creatively blurred backgrounds, as well as built-in optical photo stabilization, allowing you to transfer and take images handed even in low light.
27 used from $435.00
- Wide F1.8 maximum aperture enables beautiful defocusing effects
- 9-Blade circular aperture creates beautiful round defocused bokeh
- ED glass element for corner-to-corner sharpness
- Double Linear motor system for fast, quiet and precise focusing. The maximum magnification ratio is 0.13 and the angle of view is 29 degree
- Direct control w/ customizable focus hold button and AF/MF switch.35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C):127.5
The focal length is ideal for portraits, events, and wedding ceremonies. The OLED display is our most recent innovation, providing you with an instant study of the cutting-edge depth of area and distance to your element of focus. It’s a good partner for your Sony mirrorless camera, delivering high-performance, professional-quality results.
ZEISS Batis lenses are created specifically to unleash the inventive potential of full-frame sensors, taking use of the exciting possibilities of Sony mirrorless cameras. These lenses will deliver if you’re looking for E-mount lenses that deliver the best photograph quality, are tough enough to withstand dirt and spray water, and feature not just super-fast, but quiet autofocus.
5. Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
The Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM is a fast, short-telephoto lens developed for E-mount mirrorless digital cameras. It has a popular focal length for portraits. This lens is capable of isolating the center of emphasis for shallow depth of discipline effects, as well as working well in low-light circumstances, thanks to its pleasing point of view and fast f/1.4 maximum aperture.
23 used from $1,179.00
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Minimum Focus Distance : AF 2.79 ft, MF 2.62 ft, Maximum Magnification ratio (x) - 0.13 x, Focal-Length : 85 mm.Angle of view (APS-C) 19°
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16 , Filter Diameter (mm) - 67 mm
- One XA Element and Three ED Elements, Nano AR Coating
- Linear SSM Focus System.Weight:820 g.Dust and moisture resistant design.Angle of View (35 mm):29°
Three extra-low dispersion factors help to decrease chromatic aberrations, and one XA element helps to significantly control spherical aberrations for a high degree of photo sharpness and clarity.
In addition, when working in harsh lighting settings, a Nano AR coating has been used to reduce ghosting and lens flare for improved contrast and shade consistency. This 85mm lens is great for portraiture and other situations where controlling the center of attention is important. It has a bright f/1.4 aperture and a short-telephoto focal length.
Check Out: Best Wedding Lenses for Sony a7C
6. Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G
The Best Sony Lens for Sports Photography is the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G. The Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS is a bendy zoom with a wide telephoto range that’s perfect for nature, wildlife, and sporting activities. Its long reach combines with a small maximum aperture range to provide a surprisingly lightweight and portable design that is ideal for handheld use.
14 used from $1,499.99
- Outstanding g lens resolution throughout the Zoom range
- 5x ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements Reduces flare & ghosting
- Direct drive Supersonic Wave Motor for fast, quiet, precise focus
- Aspherical lens element dramatically reduces spherical aberration
- Nano AR coating suppresses Reflections, flare and ghosting
The optical layout supports a series of low dispersion and aspherical components that suppress a variety of aberrations, color fringing, and distortion, resulting in well-corrected imagery with excessive sharpness, color fidelity, and correct rendering. When working in bright and backlit circumstances, a Nano AR Coating has also been used to reduce floor reflections and flare for improved contrast.
In addition to the optics, this lens features a cutting-edge physical design that includes a Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor for quick, near-silent autofocus performance as well as a full-time guide center of attention override. When working handed, optical SteadyShot picture stabilization reduces the appearance of digital camera shake to deliver better photos, and a retractable, rotating tripod collar is included for steady tripod and monopod installation.
In addition, the lens features a weather-sealed sketch and a fluorine-coated front element, as well as a rounded 11-blade diaphragm that leads to a very pleasing bokeh effect.
7. Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM
The Best Sony Lens for Sports Photography is the Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 Gm. Full-frame fantastic telephoto zoom with excellent clarity, rapid AF, and a small diagram that maintains the excessive fashionable of choice shared amongst Sony’s premier line of G Master lens series. It’s a powerful photographic tool for a wide spectrum of amateur and professional photographers, especially those who frequently photograph sports or wildlife. Seventy-seven mm Filter Diameter Hood Bayonet type with a round form.
5 used from $10,749.99
- World's lightest 400mm F2.8 super-telephoto Lens
- (extreme dynamic) Linear motors for fast, precise, quiet AF
- G Master quality with superior focusing speed up to 20Fps
- Balanced weight eliminates “front heavy” nature of similar lenses
- In the box: lens hood (ALC-SH155), lens front cap, lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), hard case, lens strap, case strap
8. Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM
The Best Sony Lens for Sports Photography is the Sony FE 600mm f/4 Gm. The Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens is developed for Sony E-mount cameras and is ideal for sports, news, wildlife, and nature photographers due to its incredible telephoto length, bright aperture, and lightweight design. The f/4 aperture and eleven-blade circular diaphragm provide tremendous depth of subject control for separating subjects while also maximizing overall performance in low-light situations.
1 used from $15,681.14
- World’s lightest1 600mm super-telephoto full frame wide-aperture F4 lens
- Large XA (extreme aspherical) element suppresses spherical aberration
- 2x Extreme Dynamic - XD Linear Motors for fast, precise, quiet AF
- G Master quality with superior focusing speed up to 20fps3
- Balanced weight eliminates “front heavy” nature of similar lenses
9. Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
The 24mm F1.4 GM features a superior optical design, including two XA (extreme aspherical) factors and three ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements, which provide exceptional corner-to-corner resolution, even at a large F1.4 aperture. The g Master series’ signature bokeh is created with an 11-blade Circular aperture system. The DDSSM (direct power SSM) center of the attention power system is used to achieve fast focusing. This lens has a class-leading size and weight, allowing for excellent handling and mobility.
19 used from $975.99
- Compact Master wide prime Lens w/stunning wide-open resolution
- F1.4 max aperture provides extraordinary exposure and Depth of field
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh
- Two XA elements for natural, lifelike high resolution results
- In the box: Hood (ALC-SH154), Lens front cap (ALC-F67S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case
10. Sony AE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
The Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens is a perfect match for full-frame Sony E-mount cameras, offering superb decision and a fast f/1.8 aperture for photographers looking for a high-performing normal-length prime.
- 55 mm, F1.8, 35 mm full-frame E-mount prime lens with a large 9 blade aperture
- Crafted with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* optics
- Dust and water-resistant design
- Minimum focus distance : 0.5m (1.64ft), Focal Length (mm) : 55 mm
11. Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD
The Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III zoom, albeit not technically a 70-200mm lens, is a good choice for a telephoto zoom lens for sports photography. With a maximum focal length of 180mm, it falls short in telephoto reach, but it has a constant f/2.8 aperture for rapid shutter speeds, low-light shooting, and good subject isolation. It’s also considerably lighter than a competitive 70-200mm lens, such as the Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM lens. It’s also significantly less expensive than this Sony counterpart, at $1200 against $2600.
18 used from $829.00
- Lightest and most compact in its class of fast tele zooms for Sony full-frame mirrorless
- VXD linear motor focus mechanism delivers high-speed and high precision autofocus performance
- Superior optical design for uncompromised image quality
- Moisture-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating, and Zoom Lock switch
At both ends of the zoom range, image quality is outstanding, even wide open, and the weight savings go a long way toward making the Tamron zoom a pleasure to use for long periods of time. In addition, if you photograph with an APS-C Sony camera, the lens works well with these smaller cameras, as opposed to longer, heavier telephoto choices. Overall, the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD received the nod as a Telephoto Zoom Lens of Distinction in our Lens of the Year choices for 2020, thanks to superb image quality, rapid AF performance, compact design, and a fantastic price point. For Sony sports photographers, it’s a superb telephoto zoom.