Wildlife photography is a difficult task. Wildlife photography, unlike other genres of photography that demand precision and clarity, is dynamic and requires the photographer to be a sneaky, acute observer with fast movements and inexhaustible patience. Nature’s splendor must be recorded quickly and silently, from flying birds to submerged delights.
Wildlife photographers employ a variety of lenses for each situation while photographing animals. When working with close-up subjects, they utilize rangefinder lenses, and when working with distant topics, they use zoom lenses. As a result, you must select the ideal lens for the situation, one that is capable of producing high-quality images.
Sony lenses are an excellent choice in this regard. They not only give your photos an artistic quality, but they also have unique and innovative patterns. Sony lenses ensure that you capture all of the details and sharpness of a scene. These lenses are available in a wide range of colors and styles, allowing you to find one that best suits your needs.
All aspiring wildlife photographers should use Sony lenses, according to professional wildlife photographers. These lenses are dependable and never let photographers down when they’re on location.
The Best Sony lenses for wildlife photography and the ones I recommend after a lot of research are as follows:
Best Wildlife Lenses for Sony a7C in 2022
1. Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens – Best Overall Lense For Wildlife Photography
There aren’t many better lens alternatives for wildlife photography than this one. The Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens is one of the sharpest lenses I’ve ever used, with excellent image quality. The focal length is ideal for most of my wildlife shooting needs, and it works well with teleconverters – the Sony FE 2x Teleconverter extends the focal length to 1200mm. Weather sealing is incorporated, and the build quality is excellent. The price of this lens is its main drawback, and the size and weight of this lens will intimidate newcomers. However, for a 600mm and f/4 combination, this is an extremely light lens.
1 used from $15,681.14
- World’s lightest1 600mm super-telephoto full frame wide-aperture F4 lens
- Large XA (extreme aspherical) element suppresses spherical aberration
- 2x Extreme Dynamic - XD Linear Motors for fast, precise, quiet AF
- G Master quality with superior focusing speed up to 20fps3
- Balanced weight eliminates “front heavy” nature of similar lenses
2. Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens
Wildlife photographers erupted in applause when Sony launched the FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens, and demand far outstripped supply for months. This lens’ focal length range is ideal for wildlife photography, and teleconverter compatibility extends that range even more (though the already narrow max aperture becomes even narrower). This lens’ excellent image quality does not let you down. Although this is a large and hefty lens with a reasonably expensive price tag, the FE 200-600 appears small, lightweight, and a wonderful deal when compared to the Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens.
14 used from $1,499.99
- Outstanding g lens resolution throughout the Zoom range
- 5x ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements Reduces flare & ghosting
- Direct drive Supersonic Wave Motor for fast, quiet, precise focus
- Aspherical lens element dramatically reduces spherical aberration
- Nano AR coating suppresses Reflections, flare and ghosting
3. Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
When 400mm is sufficient for wildlife photography, there are few better solutions than this one. Early and late in the day, when light levels are low, wildlife is frequently seen. At certain times, the f/2.8 aperture of this lens allows for high-quality photography while still allowing for high-speed autofocus.
5 used from $10,749.99
- World's lightest 400mm F2.8 super-telephoto Lens
- (extreme dynamic) Linear motors for fast, precise, quiet AF
- G Master quality with superior focusing speed up to 20Fps
- Balanced weight eliminates “front heavy” nature of similar lenses
- In the box: lens hood (ALC-SH155), lens front cap, lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), hard case, lens strap, case strap
When 400mm isn’t long enough, the Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter compatibility makes this lens even better, with a comparatively wide f/4 aperture accessible at 560mm.
4. Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens
I sometimes carry simply a 100-400mm lens for photographing animals, and other times I bring a 100-400mm lens together with a 600mm f/4 lens. This focal length range, which extends to 100mm, is particularly well suited to environmental photographs, which can be more captivating than a tight animal portrait. The fact that this lens can zoom out to 100mm adds to its general-purpose versatility (think pictures of the kids). For those instances when you need even more reach, this lens is compatible with teleconverters. While the f/5.6 aperture available at the greatest focal lengths isn’t particularly large, it permits the lens to be tiny and light enough to be carried and held for lengthy periods of time. Although the FE 100-400 is not a cheap lens, it is significantly less expensive than the 600 f/4.
5 used from $665.00
- Full Frame Lens with APS-C compatibility
- Compact size meets strong image quality
- Ideal Use: Travel photography, wildlife photography, nature photography and bird photography
- 4 Year USA Warranty
- Filter Size: 67mm
5. Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens
The Sigma 150-600mm OS DN Sports Lens features a wide focal length range, a gorgeous design, good build quality, excellent image quality, optical stabilization, excellent overall performance, and a low price. That is a pretty appealing combo.
1 used from $1,230.00
- Bundle Includes: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Zoom Lens for Sony E, LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB USB 3.0 External Portable Hard Drive and SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO 170 MB/s UHS-I SDXC Memory Card
- Unique Features: Fast and accurate autofocus owing to an AF unit equipped with a high-precision magnetic sensor, combined with an OS (Optical Stabilizer) function effective to approximately 4 stops of image stabilization makes this a highly responsive lens that can handle even the most challenging subjects
- Fast, High-Precision AF: The 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports comes with the pro-level functionality that defines the Sigma Sports line lens, which is designed for capturing fast-action subjects. With an AF actuator controlled by a stepping motor, the lens combines fast and quiet autofocus with excellent tracking of moving objects. Furthermore, a high-precision magnetic sensor enables highly accurate positioning for fast and high-precision AF
- Dual Action Zoom: The lens features a Dual Action Zoom, which supports both straight zoom and ring zoom, allowing you to change the angle of view in a quick and intuitive way. Optical image stabilization delivers approximately 4 stops of compensation, with two standard OS modes for both handheld shooting and panning situations
- Rugged Construction: As part of the Sigma Global Vision Sports line of lenses, the 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports is specifically designed for everyday use in challenging conditions. Barrel construction consists of aluminum and TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) for an ideal combination of toughness and improved portability
6. Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD Lens
Tamron offers a highly appealing choice for filling in a wide variety of long focal lengths with this lens. While this is neither a small nor light lens, it does have such qualities in comparison to other 500mm lenses. This is a great lens to use on its own for excursions that require certain focal lengths, such as wildlife or sports.
13 used from $972.53
- A hand-holdable full-frame 500mm lens that defies conventional wisdom
- Just 8.3” long with a maximum diameter of 93mm. And weighing only 60.8oz.
- MOD is 23.6” at the 150mm end and 70.9” at the 500mm telephoto end with Max. Mag. ratio 1:3.1 at 150mm.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating.
- Only Tamron lenses imported officially by Tamron USA, Inc. and distributed by authorized Tamron USA, Inc. dealers carry a Six-Year Limited USA warranty.
7. Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens
A telephoto zoom lens with extended focal lengths is highly valued by most photographers, and a considerable percentage of these photographers are looking for a lightweight, low-cost choice. No one wants to sacrifice image quality or cope with a lens that does not function properly. To achieve those requirements, the Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens is an excellent choice.
- INCLUDES: Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens for Sony E + AirBag Packable Bag and Camera Insert + SanDisk 64GB C10 Ultra UHS-I SDXC Memory Card + Altura Photo Mini Tripod with Pistol Grip + Altura Photo Rapid Fire Wrist Strap + Altura Photo Hard-Shell Case + Altura Photo Cleaning Kit + 3 Sizes MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Pouch
- PRESENTING impressive reach in a relatively compact design, the Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary lens, is a versatile telephoto zoom mixing a hand-holdable design with apt optical performance. A series of low dispersion glass elements are used to achieve high clarity and color accuracy throughout the zoom range, and to suppress chromatic aberrations and color fringing.
- COMPATIBLE with all Sony Mirrorless Cameras (E mount), including a3000, a3500, a5000, a5100, a6000, a6300, a6500 APS-C Cameras, and a7, a7 II, a7 III, a7R, a7R II, a7R III, a7S, a7S II Full Frame Camera.
- SIGMA accessories included: Sigma LCF-67 III 67mm Lens Cap + Rear Cap LCR II + LH770-05 Lens Hood + PT-31 Protective Cover
8. Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS
The Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS is at the top of our list of the finest Sony lenses for wildlife photography. This lens is part of Sony’s creative G-series, and it works with the same camera as the previous lens. The distinction is that Sony’s 70-300 mm lens has a longer FE zoom range. The 300 mm telephoto lens becomes a 450 mm telephoto lens on an APS-C camera. It has the same creamy background bokeh as the original, but with a higher resolution and a magnification range of f/4.5-5.6.
20 used from $722.00
- Full-frame 70-300mm G Series F45-56 G Telephoto zoom, Nano AR Coating with Nano-precision structure, Optical SteadyShot for clear images even at full telephoto
- 35 mm full-frame. 9-blade circular aperture for smooth defocus background bokeh, 2x Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements reduces aberration, 4x Aspherical elements control spherical aberration and coma
- Linear actuator achieves fast, smooth, quiet autofocus, Enhanced operability w/ direct control switches and buttons on lens, 105-450mm (35mm equivalent) w/ APS-C format cameras
- Class-leading close-up focusing capability less than 3’. Mount type: Sony E-mount
With a minimum focus distance of 2.95 feet and a maximum magnification of 0.31x, you can capture fine details with exceptional precision. You may improve your autofocus by using a linear actuator. The optical SteadyShot optimization included in the camera reduces blur caused by unsteady movements.
This Sony lens has a flexible range of settings that are simple to use. It boasts a lock-in focus feature that makes fast photos easier. The lens performs well in low-light situations and produces clean, clear photos.
9. Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS
Sony’s FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens is designed to work with E-mount full-frame and E-mount APS-C cameras. This lens series’ excellent G-lens quality produces a creamy, smooth, and captivating bokeh background. Unlike other mid-range zoom lenses, the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G covers pictures from corner to corner and produces crisp and sharp images.
17 used from $939.99
- Brand is Sony
- Minimum focus distance:1–1.5 m (AF)/1–1.35 m (MF) (3.28–4.93 ft [AF]/3.28–4.43 ft [MF]), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.13x, Focal-Length : 70–200 mm
- Interchangeable Lens
This lens is better suited for covering large field areas. The advanced aspherical (AA) optics and 9-blade circular aperture produce excellent results with clean photos of open expanses, which can sometimes become grainy. The f/4 zooming feature works best with bright backgrounds, such as open forests and snowfields.
The f/4 zoom absorbs maximum light while reducing blur and giving the light backgrounds a creamy touch. The lightweight, compact design makes it easy to manipulate the adjustments, and the internal focusing maintains constant lens length. It’s Optical SteadyShot image stabilization eliminates blur that is common in fast capture.
10. Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
The Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS super-telephoto lens is the G-series’ clear winner. Its focal length range of 100-400mm is great for wildlife photography. The greatest aperture of f/4.5-5.6 manages the light in a photograph and produces accurate results. The GM lens has a high resolution that is consistent across all focus distances.
- INCREDIBLY SHARP: Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element strategically deployed in an advanced optical design for superb resolution, clarity and contrast
- BEAUTIFULLY SMOOTH BACKGROUNDS: Circular 9-blade aperture for beautiful bokeh defocus effects
- CAPTURE ALL THE DETAIL: Sony Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting
- FAST AND PRECISE: A double linear motor and DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) drive system provides the speed and precision required for both stills and video shooting
- PROFESSIONAL ERGONOMICS: A sealed dust and moisture resistant design provides extra protection to ensure reliable operation in challenging environments
The Nano AR Coating minimizes flare and reflections caused by highly light backdrops. This lens performs admirably in low-light situations as well. This is the first Alpha lens with a zoom smoothness adjustment, allowing you to effortlessly alter the settings with simple hand movements. The optical picture stabilization allows you to photograph fast-moving scenes with incredible precision.