Because the Sony A7 III and A7C share the same sensor and CPU, both cameras produce images of comparable quality. When I initially examined the A7 III, I was blown away by the camera’s ability to make high-quality images even in dim lighting. Unfortunately, it has been over two and a half years since I last reviewed it.
Is Sony A7C suitable for low light?
There is no question that the A7C is still an excellent camera to use in low light. Depending on what I was photographing, I could take good shots at ISO 12,800 and even higher with very little noticeable noise. Even with a slow kit lens like the 28-60mm f/3.5-5.6 one sold with the camera, it helps shoot concerts, dark spaces, or at night because of this feature.
However, in 2020 there is a lot more competition, and competing models such as the Canon R6, Nikon Z6 II, and Panasonic S5 now have characteristics comparable to each other in terms of high ISO. Despite this, the A7C performed admirably and never failed me in conditions with low light, which is quite an accomplishment for a sensor that is three years old.
In addition, the dynamic range is still approximately 15 stops, the same amount or even more than its competitors offer. When working with RAW photographs, that leaves you with much wiggle room to bring out features in the highlights or the shadows. Even if you shoot in JPEG format, Sony’s noise reduction and sharpening algorithms are superior to those of any other manufacturer, and they are finely tuned.
Because Sony has continuously improved its color science, the A7C renders skin tones more realistically than ever. Canon’s most recent mirrorless cameras produce colors marginally cooler than those produced by Nikon’s mirrorless cameras, which may give Canon the upper hand among portrait photographers. On the other hand, Sony’s colors are my first choice because they are somewhat more true to life and simpler to adjust in post-production.
- Best Lenses for Sony A7C
- Best Microphone for Sony a7c
- Best Memory Card for Sony a7c
- Best Prime Lens for Sony a7c
- Best Gimbal for Sony a7c
- Best Vlogging Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Video Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Portrait Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Travel Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Street Photography Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Sports Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Wildlife Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Event Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Macro Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Wedding Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Landscape Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best All-in-One Lenses for Sony a7C
- Best Compact Lens for Sony a7C